Website Walberton Nursery
Walberton Nursery are a family run wholesale ornamental plant grower, who have been operating since 1973. It’s diverse and skilled team of 45+ staff produce in excess of 1 million plants for the garden centre market each year.
Walberton Nursery are offering an exciting opportunity to be part of Walberton Nursery’s Research & Development Team, as a “Trials Coordinator”.
The primary purpose of this role is to set-up, run and report on all plant trials, enabling the nursery to make an informed assessment on commercial viability. The Trials Coordinator will ensure plants are grown in accordance with nursery standards and that the correct environmental controls are in place to ensure good crop health. The Trials Coordinator will also work with the Plant Breeder to ensure new varieties are trialled in a timely fashion.
A summary of tasks and responsibilities is shown below:
- Overseeing the set-up, running and reporting of all plant trials to an agreed protocol
- Monitoring subjects and comparing plant performance against objectives
- Assessing the commercial viability of new subjects
- Planning, coordinating and monitoring the work schedule of the Trials team
- Keeping excellent written, electronic and photographic records
- Working with the Plant Breeder to ensure new varieties are trialled in a timely fashion
- have proven experience of accurate record keeping
- have proven knowledge of plant growing, ideally in a commercial environment
- be logical, methodical, accurate and organised with excellent attention to detail
- be literate and numerate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- be good at listening, open to new ideas and excellent communicators
- have a professional qualification or degree in a horticultural subject (preferable)
Full time, permanent position, with the following working hours:
- November to February, minimum 32.5 hours per week: Monday to Friday 08:30 – 15:45
- March to July, minimum 44 hours per week: Monday to Thursday 07:30 – 17:15; Friday 07:30 – 16:15
- August to October, minimum 39 hours per week: Monday to Thursday 08:00 – 16:45; Friday 08:00 – 15:45
On offer is a competitive salary from £23,100 to £24,900 (depending on skills and experience), 268.25 holiday hours per year pro rata inc. Bank Holidays and Life Assurance (conditions apply).