Following some very questionable weather in the days leading up to the event, conditions turned out perfectly for LEAF Open Farm Sunday on 12th June. Members of the Farplants Group take it in turns to host the event with all parts of the cooperative contributing to the day. 2022 was Binsted Nursery’s turn, and 31 volunteers from Walberton, Binsted, Fleurie, Toddington and Farplants helped at the event, including some budding young horticulturists running the lucky dip stand. There was plenty to keep the 158 members of the public entertained over the course of the day:
- Plant sales with fabulous products donated from all four Farplants nurseries
- Homemade cakes and refreshments, with more than a dozen delicious cakes and sweet treats made by volunteers across the Farplants Group
- Pot your own seed and herb section with peat free growing media, pots and labels donated by Fargro, seeds by Fleurie and herbs by Binsted
- Self-guided tour through the herb glasshouse
- Growing media lucky dip, with prizes including sweets and toys
- Perennial and British Red Cross charity stands
- Fish and chip van hosted by The Food Shack
- Children’s activity sheets created by Binsted staff children
- Guided tour of Binsted’s reservoir and wetland area
- Biological control stand hosted by Koppert, complete with their very own bumblebees
With all the money taken across the Farplants stands, £450 after costs will be donated to Perennial and the British Red Cross for Ukraine. Leftover plants from the plant sale were also donated to the two charities.
We were very fortunate with the weather, but even if we hadn’t been, all the lovely staff volunteers and their family would have made the day a success regardless. A massive thank you to them all for giving up a part of their weekend!
Watch this space for Toddington hosting the next event on 11th June 2023…..