Binsted Nursery is based near Barnham, West Sussex and grows over 3 million pots annually for the garden centre and multiple retail market across the UK.
Binsted Nursery is looking for a Lead Propagator to join them on a permanent basis.
The Lead Propagator will be responsible for the timely production of over 1.25 million young plants each year, the role holder will have a passion for plant propagation in a commercial environment, and be keen to seek, learn and develop propagation techniques and know how. They will keep up to date with latest thinking and apply this to ensuring the highest quality outcomes, whilst ensuring the team are motivated to deliver those outcomes in an environment of continual improvement.
- Ensuring propagation quality, quantity and time targets are met
- Organising, leading and supervising staff to achieve department goals
- Providing Line Manager with regular updates
- Daily monitoring and control of cultural needs, e.g. weaning, trimming, feeding, weeding
- Encouraging good crop hygiene practices and regular crop walking to maintain crops weed, pest and disease free, and clear of dead and diseased plants and debris
- Stock plant management – planning and forecasting the number of stock plant required, their yield and production timings.
- Ensuring you and your team are working safely, complying with relevant legislation and established Nursery procedures
- Attending weekly Meetings to share knowledge and information and keep up to date with business-wide crop work
- Regularly communicating with other departments and the Site Supervisor, e.g. regarding staffing requirements, pest and disease issues, stock plant management
- Determining work rates and using established KPIs to plan and communicate expectations and monitor performance and quality
To be suitable for the role of Lead Propagator:
- Proven experience in commercial plant propagation
- A literate, numerate and accurate completer finisher with excellent attention to detail
- Professional, reliable and a good communicator
- A good leader, team builder and motivator of people, with proven Supervisory experience
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to keep several tasks live at any one time
- Logical and methodical
- PA1 preferable (but trainable)
- Horticultural qualification preferable
This is a full-time position working 39 hours per week with occasional additional hours and weekend duties on a Rota basis.
Salary, depending on experience.
Binsted Nursery is easily commutable from: Chichester, Bognor Regis, Arundel, West Sussex and the A27 Corridor.