Website Walberton Nursery
Walberton Nursery are recruiting a Lead Propagator to supervise and develop its busy Propagation team. Walberton Nursery are a market leading, customer focussed organisation who supply high quality plants to Garden Centres across the UK. We have a stable team of 40+ employees based across 2 sites near Chichester in West Sussex, and are proud to be part of Tristram Plants and the Farplants Group, both highly regarded in the industry for their sales and marketing of horticultural products.
The Lead Propagator would be responsible for the timely production of over ½ million young plants. Candidates will have a passion for plant propagation in a commercial environment, and be keen to seek, learn and develop propagation techniques and know how. They will keep up to date with latest thinking and apply this to ensuring the highest quality outcomes, whilst ensuring the team are motivated to deliver those outcomes in an environment of continual improvement.
A summary of responsibilities is shown below, but it is highly recommended that applicants read the full Job Description to understand the scope of this opportunity:
- Planning and prioritising daily and weekly work plans
- Determining work rates and using established KPIs to plan and communicate expectations and monitor performance and quality in an environment of continual improvement
- Assessing cutting material readiness to enable timely propagation or seed sowing
- Monitoring and controlling cultural needs, e.g. weaning, trimming, feeding, weeding
- Assessing environmental needs, e.g. venting, watering
- Assisting in the planning, development and amendment of crop plans
- Undertaking weekend duties and covering for other staff during holidays and sickness
- have proven experience in plant propagation and/or commercial horticulture
- be good leaders, team builders and motivators of people, with proven Supervisory experience
- be logical, methodical, accurate and organised with good attention to detail
- have excellent organisational skills with the ability to keep several tasks live at any one time
- preferably have a horticultural qualification
Full time, working an average 39 hours per week on Walberton’s Annualised Hours system.
On offer is a competitive salary depending on skills and experience.
Candidates should apply online at www.tristramplants.co.uk.